1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 285/70/R17 wheels

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by SoCalTaco28, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Feb 23, 2024 at 8:23 AM
    SoCalTaco28

SoCalTaco28 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR 4x4
    33's
    Good morning all!

I just had my new 17" Icon rebounds with Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70/R17 installed the other day and wanted to share. So far i'm absolutely loving it!
    2.jpg

stevenryannn likes this.
  2. Mar 16, 2024 at 7:55 AM
    MikeG830

MikeG830 Member

Member:
    Love it! I’m debating some Icon’s also. What lift do you have for those 285 tires? And did you have to trim or chop also?

3. Jul 6, 2024 at 1:55 PM
    Vancouver Islander

Vancouver Islander New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Levelled, CMC, Body Armor 4x4 Pro Series winch bumper with 30" lightbar (no winch). Running 285/70 R17 Falken Wildpeaks on Icon beadlock rims. Bilstein front springs and some sort of Icon suspension system. Not sure exactly what's under there, but she sure rides nice!
    I'm running the exact same rims and tires on a levelled (2" in front, 1" in back, Toyota safety/ warranty approved) 2017 I bought a week ago from the dealership. I'm not sure exactly what the suspension kit is, but there are some Icon components under there. Cab mount chop was done by previous owner, and truck has minor fender damage where the driver's side tire must've nicked the front edge. There's a bit of a crumple in the fender liner. The damage is not even noticeable unless you go looking for it. Previous owner also managed to rip out the inside screw fastening the stock mud flap.
    Toyota did a bunch of work on it, and assures me that everything clears with cycling of the suspension. I find this hard to believe. Perhaps there's full movement within the well AFTER fully cycling the suspension with the wheels straight, but what I see when I park with my wheels turned, is a tire that sits proud of the edge of the fender. It couldn't be any tighter. Surely, if I knocked a wheel out of alignment, I'd be looking at more fender damage before I crawled her out of the bush. I'm having the fenders chopped and a steel bumper installed next week. I think I'll try to crunch my fender before it gets chopped by making a tight turn up onto a lump, so I can go bitch to Toyota about it, and hopefully get a free bumper out of the deal. So far, they're gonna throw me some low profile mud flaps because that one with the ripped out screw hole rubs.

There's a reason that 275/70 R17 are the biggest you should run with a levelling kit, and I think I've discovered that reason. Hard to believe that Toyota just slapped on new 285s instead of downsizing to something a little more rational like 275s, but they did. Without a body lift, I think you'll want to chop your fenders too, and if you don't wish to do that, I believe your Taco will make that decision for you eventually.

Products Discussed in

To Top