1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 007Tacoma, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Jan 11, 2007 at 6:19 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    This is a BASIC "How To" for installing an upgraded stereo system into a 2nd Generation Tacoma.

I will be editing this "How To" as I get questions and comments. Some of the pictures didn't turn out so well first time around, so I will be adding pictures later on. These pictures are exclusive to the 2nd Generation Tacoma with the standard single CD Player. The 6-disc version is probably the same setup with a larger in-dash unit, but don't quote me on that.

Parts you will need:

Dash Kit

- Scosche Dash Kits (Single & Double) are available from *********.com, Best Buy, and can regularly be found on Ebay. These kits are a close color match to the factory dash kit, but do not contain the texture that can be found on my 2007. This kit is an either/or kit. You can either have a single DIN (standard height) or a double DIN (obviously, double height).

- Other (reference?) Dash Kit (all-in-one kit) is available from crutchfield.com, Circuit City, and can regularly befound on Ebay. This kit is black. It matches some of the black trim on the dash fairly well. I chose this kit as it is easy to upgrade from a single DIN to a double DIN without having to purchase another kit.

Wiring Harness

- This is used to connect the factory stereo plugs to your after market stereo. This prevents you from having to cut up your stereo wires and possibly cause a short. It also lets you reinstall the factory deck when you want to sell the vehicle (like that will happen). I did not include any pictures of this as it can differ greatly between different stereos units.

New Stereo

This is where I use crutchfield.com to find what fits in my dash. Most aftermarket stereos will fit, but some will not either due to depth or different fit (there are some that are made for GM and DCX vehicles that are not the standard DIN setup). For this install I am putting in a JVC KD-G820. It isn't the most top-of-the-line stereo out there, but it does have a healthy amount of features and an easy to read display.

NO MATTER WHAT - you should check the measurements of your stereo, dash, and dash kit to be sure that the new stereo will fit into your vehicle!!!

Parts you may want:

While you have your dash apart, you may want to think about what else you need to put back there.

IPod/MP3 adapter

- For this install I put a JVC IPod adapter in place that has an interface into my JVC Stereo's CD Changer Port.

This allows me to control and listen to my IPod through my deck instead of messing with the IPod itself.

Digital Radio adapter

This is also a good place to put a Satellite Radio adapter (XM or Sirius) or an HD Radio adapter. I did not do

this. Therefore it is not included in this BASIC install guide. I may put in an HD Radio at a later date.

GPS antenna

I did not do this. Therefore it is not included in this BASIC install guide.

Backup Camera

I did not do this. Therefore it is not included in this BASIC install guide. I believe that pb2themax has done this.

CD Changer

I did not do this. Therefore it is not included in this BASIC install guide. My IPod adapter pretty much negates this.

Tools you will need:

1 Large Flatblade Screwdriver or Heavy Duty Putty Knife (clean, of course)

1 10mm socket on an extension (you will need to get at least 3 inches into the dash)

1 standard Phillips Screwdriver (for setting up the Dash Kit)

How To...

Remove Climate Controls

First thing you will need to do is remove the Climate Controls. These cover the bolts that hold the factory stereo in place. With a large flat bladed screwdriver or putty knife, you can remove the climate controls without marring the dash or breaking the pins. It is fairly easy to do.

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

You can remove the panel by pulling outward on bottom once the bottom has be dislodged from the dash. This is what the Control Panel should look like once you have removed it.

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

Notice the white tabs on the corners. These are the snap tabs for the dash. These are sturdiest I have ever seen, but they are still breakable, so be careful! The two wiring harnesses into the Climate Control can be removed by pressing on the tabs in the center and pulling straight out. NOTE: all factory wiring harnesses will only go into the device they are designed for. You do not have to worry about plugging in the wrong harness into the wrong unit.

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

continued on next post...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 11, 2007 at 6:21 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Remove Factory Stereo Head Unit

Behind the climate controls there are 4 10mm bolts. Two of them are easily accessible, but the other two are recessed a few cm back. These are the only "bolts/screws" that hold the stereo in place. Once these are removed, the entire unit can be unsnapped out of place CAREFULLY (this is plastic, and it can break)!

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

To remove the head unit lift slightly up and out on the unit. I apologize for not having any pictures of this, but it is hard to do and hold a camera at the same time. :)

3. Jan 11, 2007 at 6:23 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Remove Hazard Switch and Passenger Restraint Indication Unit

***This is what it looks like in the "new" dash kit***

The original unit isn't easy to take pictures of since the factory stereo is in it, but the original unit is setup the exact same way. Notice, in the picture below, the two screws connected to the dash piece. Just below these screws are plastic snap tabs. There are two more on the bottom side of the unit. The easiest way to remove this unit from the original dash application is to place a small flat screwdriver in-between the unit and the snap and pry up gently. Be careful not to break any of the plastic parts!!!

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

ac-johnson likes this.
  4. Jan 11, 2007 at 6:23 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Running IPod wiring to the Glove Box

I installed a JVC stereo with a JVC IPod Adapter (runs through your CD Changer controls). The cable running to the IPod is run through the glove box. As you can see, there is plenty of room to not pinch or crimp the cable if it is run into the glove box. There is NO drilling required for any of this. I have placed the control unit underneath the stereo. The cable is not dificult to get into the glove box, but it does require you to think that you have small hands.

See Pictures Below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the stereo after I was finished...

[​IMG]

As I stated before I will be adding to this as I take better pictures and as I am asked questions. Please let me

know if there is something that you have questions about or if I am incorrect in this thread... Thanks!

Mallori2011Tacoma and mattraptor like this.
  5. Jan 11, 2007 at 10:29 AM
    06TAC2WD

06TAC2WD 2006 Taco lover

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    2006 Taco with Highlander Chromed wheels
    Has a fold up cover, gets an extra 2-3 mpg on hwy.
    great job.:D

Thanks for the info.

David

6. Jan 11, 2007 at 10:33 AM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    I will be doing a rear camera install on my 05 tacoma next week. I will take pics of this install and post them here. also pics of the pioneer avic z1 navigation install.
    Again, i which to thank PBtothemax for his help locating the speed sensor and reverse wires.

One note here, if you must drop down the glove box, on the right side of it, there is a dampner. you might find it already off. It has a habbit of disconnecting itself. PB did a write up on it on the toyotanation forum.

7. Jan 11, 2007 at 11:10 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Dampner? What does it do?

8. Jan 11, 2007 at 5:10 PM
    sunruner19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    what this does is when you open the glove box, it lets it drop slow instead of a quick drop.
    damn if i know why we need something like that :confused:

what we really need is a gas shock dampner on the tailgate for older people like myself who sometimes get a stiffness in their wrists.
    There are gas shocks available for the hood, which i did purchase for bout $65 bucks.

here is the link for it:
    Redline Tuning -
    http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-TOY-TACOMA-95+.html
    [​IMG]

9. Jan 12, 2007 at 3:47 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I guess Toyota didn't think we would need to be under the hood enough to justify putting on gas shocks. :D

BadgersFan likes this.
  10. Jan 12, 2007 at 3:56 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    BadgersFan likes this.
  11. Jan 12, 2007 at 8:24 AM
    Rafael Becerra

Rafael Becerra New Member

Member:
    Hi every body ,i like to add oil presure and volts gage were is a good plce in a 2005 taco doble cab?

12. Jan 15, 2007 at 7:40 AM
    taco suprme sport

taco suprme sport Member

Member:
    This was really very helpful link, I used it to access the rear of my radio, previous owner installed XM satilite radio, FM modulator and disconnected antenna. I removed modulator and wiring and reconnected antenna, reception working great now. Thank you again. One point, on my radio bracket the bolts were 11mm not 10mm.

13. Jan 15, 2007 at 8:05 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Those must have come with the dash kit. My dash kit came w/ 4 bolts, but I didn't use them. One note - They were longer. don't know why. Maybe to hold an extra-thick kit for a larger deck?:confused:

I am really glad this was helpful, and that your problem was so easy to fix. Now all you have to do is ENJOY!:D

14. Jan 18, 2007 at 10:27 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I took some pictures of what the dash looks like without the deck in it. I will try to get them posted soon...

15. Jan 20, 2007 at 6:13 PM
    tacomacho

tacomacho Member

Member:
    good information and picks

16. Jan 21, 2007 at 6:38 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks! I am trying to get the pics of behind the unit, but the weather here has been very bad. I don't feel like driving down to my office for the camera. ;)

I am going to try to post them soon.

17. Feb 4, 2007 at 9:35 AM
    Rehabber

Rehabber Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport Access, Barcelona Red
    I was just admiring the finished photo of your radio swap. Where did you get the front replacement panel in black. ********* only offers theirs in the silver/gray.

18. Feb 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM
    sunruner19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    You can find black panels on ebay or it can be ordered thru any radio installation place. I beleive Crutchfields has them also.
    some are single din and other panels are both single and double din, read carefully before ordering.

19. Feb 5, 2007 at 4:13 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I got mine off of Crutchfield.com. I use them because I have for years, but you can also get them from http://www.ebay.com for cheaper like sunrunner19 said. It looks like they would be cheaper on eBay. ;)

I do have some more pictures to post, but I haven't had time to go find what I did with my camera. I am looking at taking a job in San Antonio, and that is eating up ALL of my time lately. I will try to get those photos up soon. :eek:

20. Feb 7, 2007 at 8:13 PM
    kingtaco

kingtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley
    Whats up fellas? Thats good info. Does anyone know where the factory amp is located? Can I use it with a aftermarket stereo?

To Top