1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reclass to EOD?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Airborne09, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    So I'm gonna reclass (I'm commo right now, and hate it lol) but I'm trying to figure out what I want to reclass to.
    I know I don't wanna be stuck behind a desk more than I have to. I like going out on patrol and getting my hands dirty. One thing that keeps popping up when I look into reclassing is EOD.
    Now I know that its not that cool to get advice from people to get a heads up and what not, but I'm just curious as to what the daily training is like in school, and once you get to your unit.
    Anything will be appriciated.
    Thank you

2. May 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    IMO army EOD is garbage. If you want to learn some shit join the navy there EOD is much better. And I'm not a navy guy, I've worked with both and navy is the best EOD of all the services. Or if you wanna blast people and blow shit up go SF.

3. May 31, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    Well I'm already in the Army, so I don't think getting out just to go into Navy EOD would be in my best interests lol.
    SF, I have been thinking about that too because I want something that's gonna challenge me.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    I can only speak on the portion at Eglin AFB cause thats what I attempted to go through. If it's still the same I know the Army has around 14 weeks of AIT before arriving at Eglin. Schooling at Eglin is supposed to take roughly 26 weeks if you go straight through. The school is tuff but you learn a lot of cool stuff. The length of the school day differs depending on what part of the course you are in. Like any other school there are indoor classes but they have a ton of mock up senarios for every portion of the school that are outside. It's a Joint service experience as for personnel in your class and the instructors that teach it. I had a blast in trying to learn that job and if I wasn't married I might have tried to become EOD again.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    Try SF it's better then any regular army job you could get

6. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    Brother just went through Ranger school... you dont eat much thats for damn sure, but he enjoyed it and is in SF training now. Might want to look into it, my bro likes to get all the training he could as he didnt need to go to Ranger school to go Green Beret but did to learn the larger force procedures.

Pay is nice in SF

7. Jun 24, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    <<<<< Feel free to ask if you have any questions still.

8. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    if you want to reclass to EOD ,, log into your AKO , find ASK , and i think its under REQUISTION but you can easily volunteer for that

9. Jul 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    AZ TXPRO

AZ TXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    EOD is a great, demanding, fulfilling MOS.

The EOD mission downrange is absolutely critical and in high demand.....but in garrison, I'm not too sure if you will be very busy actually doing tech stuff. You should research that b/c the fact is that the "war" is going away......and that MOS will most likely reduce in strength.

Another option would be to reclass 21B, but ensuring you go to a "real" 21B unit (Sapper). The Sapper mission set has some similiarties to EOD downrange, but also can offer more diversity. A Sapper can occupationally function as a construction guy or a route clearance guy based on his(her) environment and needs.....just food for thought when planning for your future/career.

10. Jul 4, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    Sadly this is becoming true :( Techs at places like Fort Campbell with 5 Modular EOD Companies, a Battalion, and Group hardly get a chance to run stateside incidents. But there are still bases out there where you run incidents constantly i.e. Yakima, Fort Irwin, Fort Leonard Wood and others.

False. Sapper's can do some minor demo but not at all close to what our mission is.

11. Jul 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    AZ TXPRO

AZ TXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Tech,

I had a feeling you would chime in on my similarity comment as u are a tech and KNOW how in depth your job goes...as well as what those differences are (I do too...mostly).

I think I was careful enough when saying "some" and "downrange".....especially based on the audience in the thread. Most don't know the EOD mission to be more than a cahce type, blow in place scenario.....align that scenario with a Sapper conducting route clearance and hence why I wrote it they way I did (or meant it that way anyway).

that was a great segway for FIREWROKS TIME!...getting dark

Happy 4th!

Products Discussed in

To Top