1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking Rear Differential

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by SearchingTacoma, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:04 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    When you make a turn, the inside wheel (if your turning right, it would be the right wheel) has to rotate less than the outside wheel. In 2wd this is easy because the wheels are spinning freely. In 4x4 both of your front wheels are spinning at the same speed when you try to turn, thus making it harder to turn. This is one of the reasons why your NOT supposed to ever run 4x4 on pavement*.

* Excluding snow

2. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    das56170

das56170 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    so if I have a sr5 4x4 (non trd) what kind of rear differential do I have? I don't have the rear locker so I'm assuming the LSD.

3. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:08 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I guess I don't understand, if both the front wheels are spinning at the same speed when turning, wouldn't that make it a front locker?

4. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:11 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    non-trd, u prolly have an open. if u have an lsd, u should have a sticker on the diff that says that

5. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    Imrubicon

Imrubicon Wife thinks I am done Modding truck

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Access 4X4 SR5
    Shhh! the wife thinks I dont do mods on trucks anymore
    I had a Wrangler with front and rear lockers and the difference is night and day as to how it worked compared to a non locked diffs.
    Locked is what you need for offroading in more seriouse areas.
    Locked rocks for rock ,mud and pretty much anything offroad.
    Locked will mess with you on dry hard surfaces.
    4X4 is is really more like left front and right rear if you are on slippery surface.
    Still better than two wheel drive but not as good as a posi diff or locked diff's w/4X4.

6. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Good info here.

One question. On a TRD PreRunner, will the locker engage automatically if the rear wheels start slipping, or will it have to be manually engaged?

7. Jul 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    an LSD will if u have the sport....if u have an OR, then u have to hit the button. and only do that at low/no speeds

8. Jul 12, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    das56170

das56170 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    Just checked. I have the lsd. Its funny...when I bought the truck I didn't even think about these options. I just wanted to make sure I had 4X4

9. Jul 12, 2008 at 7:56 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Actually, the front wheels each turn at different speeds when turning, as they follw a different arc than the rear. When turning each of the 4 tires are turning at different speeds. In 4x4 and in a turn, since the front is recieveing the same rpm as the rear, yet tuning at a different speed, the drivetrain binds............I know this is what you meant to say, but Im bored so I thought I would add some more detail. :eek:

10. Jul 12, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    They'll never be turning at the same speed or distance while turning. The inside wheel will always be turning less and cover less distance than the outside wheel. That's why the differential is OPEN because its designed to allow each wheel to spin freely at its own rate especially for turning.

Majority of the reason why you have such a hard time turning while in 4WD is mostly due to the CV joints at each front wheel. In 2wd, the CV joints are *going along for the ride* with no torque being applied to them. In 4WD - the CV joints are 'driven' and thus experiencing torque.

Imagine these swivel sockets as your CV joints. When they are perfectly straight (up/down), they're easier to spin without a lot of pressure. But if you bend them (as seen in the picture) and try to spin them, they won't spin as easily. Same scenario with the CV joints.
    [​IMG]

Although - on a side note - you'd think the OPEN differential would prevent this CV joint bind-up from happening. The front axle shafts themselves never transfer that bind-up pressure to the front differential - so it can't compensate for it.

11. Jul 14, 2008 at 12:16 AM
    mark155490

mark155490 Active Member

Member:
    OCALA
    Vehicle:
    95 TACOMA.6INCH FABTECH.K&N INTAKE
    6 inch FABTEC suspinsion lift.33's,k&n intake,throttle body spacer.
    you dont have to have it in 4 lo nemore to lock the rear.its about a 5 minute fix and u can lock it in in 4hi 4lo and 2wheel.just look it up on google and shows u how to do it

12. Jul 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I already knew that. From the factory - you can't use the locker in 4hi.

The reason I didn't mention this modification, is because if you break something while in 4hi using the locker - you might have a hard time getting things replaced under warrantee.

The 4X4 is still more capable than the 4X2 in more extreme offroading situations. The 4X4 can be modified even more to make it spank the 4X2.

13. Jul 15, 2008 at 7:42 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    get the offroad and color match everythning later. and forget the scooped hood. looks cool but is non functional and gets in the way on trails.

14. Jul 16, 2008 at 9:04 AM
    joedart

joedart Active Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner sr5
    how difficult would it be to install a locking rear diff in my 08 reg cab prerunner?

15. Jul 16, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    you're like a truck scientist....

16. Jul 16, 2008 at 2:40 PM
    bambooshoots

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Exactly how long is the Locking Rear Diff light supposed to be blinking?

So, I pressed the button and the ABS light comes on and the rear lock symbol starts flashing, but continues to flash for a long time. After a minute I got tired of waiting and turned it off.

Is something wrong with the rear locker on my PreRunner?

17. Jul 16, 2008 at 3:47 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Depends ... There are lots of different types of lockers available. Some are cheaper while others can be expensive. The cheaper variety tends to have funky street manners while the expensive ones (selectable) you don't even know they're there....

The cheaper spider gear replacement lockers are easy to install for the do-it-yourselfer. While the more expensive carrier replacement lockers involve gear setup and more professional installation. (in a nutshell)

It's a whole new world to research..... You need to find out what size differencial you have and research what's available to you. Not all diffs are the same.

18. Jul 17, 2008 at 3:53 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I stayed at a Holliday Inn Express last night. ;);)

19. Jul 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM
    bambooshoots

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    Well, with the locking diff light still blinking, I slowly eased forward and soon it clicked into play.

I guess it just hadn't been used in so long.

I have a question: how exactly is the locking rear diff supposed to act? I tried again today; pressed the button and the diff lock symbol blinked continuously until after 30 seconds I eased forward the the blinking light become solid. However when I stopped and hit the button to deactivate the locker, the light stayed on for quite a while; I started to move the vehicle again after about 30 seconds of waiting and the locker stayed locked, then deactivated after I traveled a few yards.

Is this normal for the locker? Or should it be deactivating/activating completely when you push the button and before moving?

20. Jul 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM
    bambooshoots

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    Allright, that's good to know.

The way the manuals states, I was under the impression that it had to be fully engaged/disengaged before you should start moving.

Products Discussed in

To Top