1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling All Members that are Surfers/Ocean Lovers, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Agent 21, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    Agent 21

Agent 21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been a lurker for a LONG time here, but just recently started postin. I wanted to wait til I finally GOT my Tacoma to become an "active" member here, but I started anyway even though I still haven't found "the one" yet (posting a story about missing out on "the one" by mere HOURS was my first thread here haha). Anyway, in my short time of actively posting I've come to realize that this site has a great and helpful community, so I figured this is worth a shot:

There is a famous surf break in my hometown that is now at risk of being destroyed due to EXTREMELY poor construction plans. It is one of the top breaks on the east coast, and people come from all over the world to surf it when it's firing (basically during hurricane season). The spot means a LOT to me and my local surfing community, and it's influence extends all across the globe.

I'm asking anyone here who loves surfing, or the ocean, or just wants to help, to sign this petition:
    https://www.change.org/petitions/rh...n-that-could-destroy-ruggles-surf-break#share

It may already be too late to save it, apparently the plan was approved and is set to start mid-may, but now that we all have wind of it there is intense opposition so hopefully it is enough to at least postpone it until more studies on the long-term impact can be done.

Here are a couple articles about it:
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ruggles-rally_94814/

http://easternsurf.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=886:ruggles-in-danger&Itemid=111

I do have to say, as terrible of a situation as this is, the outpouring of support from the surf/ocean community on a global scale has been amazing. It's cool to see our little surf town making headline news on big surf sources like Surfline, and that our surf community is being given a voice in local and regional news publications. Now hopefully our voice is heard....

Thank you to everyone who took the time to check this out, and extra thanks to those who help out.

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    Welcome and glad to help out!

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Bewbs to draw more views!

Come on TW!! Just click on the link and help out with your digital sig!

bewbs.jpg

4. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    I love Bewbs

5. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    I love those bewbs!

6. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Done And Done, I need a cigarette [​IMG]

7. Apr 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    Agent 21

Member:
    Awesome, appreciate the support, and the Bewbs, can go wrong with Bewbs.

Here is the spot in action, with a few pros surfing it during a storm swell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOvAsQq3Aw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ian Walsh is from here but lives in Hawaii now, McNamara just road a 90ft (yes, FEET haha) wave in Portugal last year, and Benji is a world tour surfer. These guys have the means, and skills, to surf anywhere in the world they want at anytime and yet the always make appearances here when a good storm brings the right characteristics to make Ruggles go off. The way it looks now, there won't be anymore days like this. We wouldn't even get one more storm season, as that starts around August, and they're set to start work by end of May. Damn shame.

The funniest part is that house that is the subject of the articles, and seen in the pics, is a SICK house right on the end of the street you lark to climb down the cliff to hop in and paddle out. Ever since I was little, back when I just walked the cliff part and watched the ocean, still too young to paddle out at this spot (stone reef instead of sandy bottom beach, it's dangerous), I ALWAYS said I'd buy that house. Be it when I was little and thought if be a rock star or whatever it was at the time, to now when I think about winning a crazy lottery when you hear about it on news. I've always loved that house, because the surf spot is the front yard. Now it's the owner of that house who's killing the spot because he won't allow equipment on his property to repair the damaged seawall from hurrican Sandy. So THAT is why they want to build the jetties, to stage and operate equipment since they can't do it on land. Classic example of mega-rich people (he paid $20-something MILLION for it) not giving a crap about anyone but themselves. Instead of allowing access, and not even like across the middle of his yard, just into the surrounding access roads that he owns, he'd rather have them destroy an ecosystem, beloved surf spot/tourist attraction, and local treasure.

End rant, lol. Thanks for the sigs everyone!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  8. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE!!!

Way to go TW members! The Newport Council voted 6-0 to ensure the surfbreak would not be impacted by the seawall reconstruction!

Subject: Newport City Council passes resolution supporting OUR position!
    Reply-To: "
    Change.org" <no-reply@change.org>

The council passed the resolution 6-0 with the original resolve “that the CRMC is urged to review its plans to ensure that the Ruggles Avenue Surf break remains uninterrupted and that the reef habitat is not harmed during or after Cliff walk repairs”. There is a great showing of support from the council and the community. We are excited to be a part of the meeting on Friday at 1PM with DOT/CRMC/ACOE and look forward to being actively involved in the future design of cliff walk repairs. However, this is far-far from over. This is going to be a long process, but with positive energy and ever-improving partnerships, we can do amazing things. The petition remains open, please share it widely. For daily updates please visit http://www.cleanoceanaccess.org/ Thanks for all your support from around the world!

Here is a Thank You bewb shot for all of you who looked then helped out!

IMG_7300_600x900_Q10.jpg

9. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    lowercaselong

lowercaselong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Sr5 PreRunner
    OEM Skid Plate, Blacked out front emblem
    done. and shared on my fb. save a wave.

10. Apr 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady professional trousersnake charmer

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
    US OUTPOST North 31-Mayday Mayday! We've found som
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner 4WD LTD - Cheatin' Bitch Build 2
    Cheatin' bitch build 2: All stock for now... 99' Tacoma 4wd TRD Cheatin' bitch build 1: BG44K additive, motul 5w40(always), deckplate mod, K&N washable air filter, 2.5" flow master(cut thanks to Airdog), king fronts 2.5", all pro standard leaf pk, stainless steel rear ext brakeline, 5125's 10" travel rears, 4-jasper offroad 6" pod LED spot lights, secret compartment for small bottle of wild turkey, cobra CB, Hi-lift jack w/locking bed mount, hi lift curved bumper lift & road base plate, smittybuilt X20 winch, wab fab F&R bumpers w/ hitch receivers, smittybuilt 4in1 recov tool, 10gal mini flamethrower, 11 lbs dynamite sticks, 13 4-hr snowflares, .50Cal full auto mounted machine gun w/ RPG unit & a shitoad of death metal to fuckstart your brain...everything you need for first contact with a shape-shifting alien entity frozen for over 100,000 years reanimated & immitating all life it engulfs.
    showing the support and the ( o )( o )
    dfadsdsfsad_zpsd6521756_bf88dedb665f5f5203be312f3cdc043182e0e7e0.jpg

fger5467hds_zps37858690_b4c8b4984ade8ec7ef89d67ad9ccea83d3be29bb.jpg

gotta love So Cal's OC area

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  11. Apr 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    Agent 21

Member:
    Beat me to it! I just hunted the thread down to post the update and thank everyone. The support is greatly appreciated, and it is AMAZING that we got support from all over the world, even signatures from all but 1 state (screw YOU South Carolina haha, kidding). I'm not sure how landlocked middle Americans would have even KNOWN about this, but that makes the support that more awesome.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Products Discussed in

To Top