1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Regrets? LT vs. MT for Overlanding

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by snowmanwithahat, May 16, 2016.

?

LT or MT for overlanding?

1. LT, and I wish I went MT...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MT, and I wish I went LT...

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. LT and loving it!

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. MT and loving it!

29 vote(s)
    67.4%
  1. May 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM
    snowmanwithahat

snowmanwithahat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica DCSB, TRD OR, V6, Auto
    So I've been lurking in a lot of LT build threads and occasionally I see someone mention that they consider going back to an MT setup because of the sway bar and on-road manners. So I wanted to get a poll from you guys that use your rig as an overland setup. By "MT" I'm referring to any stock-width front IFS setup. I'm really looking at the OME BP-51 kit myself, but piece-meal setups are just as interesting to hear from. For an LT setup I'm personally thinking a 2+ front, 12" shock in the rear with a shock-mount relocation and dakar/all-pro leafs. Obviously there is a big capability difference between the two (and price) but I'm trying to ignore those factors. I just want to hear what you have and if it's right for YOU.

Any LT guys wish they were still a road-friendly setup?
    Any MT guys wish they just went LT from the start?
    Happy with your LT/MT setup and don't see that changing anytime soon?

Looking at a few of you in particular, @Mademan925 , @DefconBrix , @ckeene9 , @iJonny , @loco , @NYCO

Would love to hear all opinions though. MT and LT alike!

Crom likes this.
  2. May 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Love my LT but its not great for daily driving or maneuvers at high speeds. Luckily I have a daily driver. Having 35s with little rubbing is probably my favorite part of LT. I don't know if its really worth the extra money yet. I should have a better idea after wheeling this summer.

SixthSnail and Crom like this.
  3. May 16, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    2ndGenJonny

2ndGenJonny Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
  4. May 16, 2016 at 12:42 PM
    snowtank

snowtank Where the fuck did my beer go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 txpro dcsb 08 trd sprt dcsb
    Some stuff here and there....
    I have a mt set up. Ads coilovers with resis up front and ads piggy backs in the rear matched with a set of all pro expo leafs. I love it. For me to go over most stuff in my way to get out and explore. I dont want to drop the coin on Lt nor do I find myself ever needing it. I dont have a sway bar on my truck and regularly travel long distances without any problems even when loaded down at high speeds. Offroad down dirt roads it matches what I want perfectly aswell. Wont change it.

Crom and 2ndGenJonny like this.
  5. May 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    I was fine without my sway bar and MT too. You know that feeling when you first take off your sway bar and the truck drives like a boat and after a few days the truck just feels like it drives normal. When you go LT its like that all over again but way worse.

6. May 16, 2016 at 12:46 PM
    2ndGenJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    I will add that the relocate wether it be inboard or out is a solid move. Combine that with the shackle flip and you are really using the leafpacks. This bar far has been my most impacting mod to date.
    You dont need to drop the coin on Kings at all either. Billstein makes a 12" shock to fit and cheap.

Crom and Mademan925 like this.
  7. May 16, 2016 at 12:46 PM
    snowtank

snowtank Where the fuck did my beer go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 txpro dcsb 08 trd sprt dcsb
    Some stuff here and there....
    Exactly how It felt. I dont even notice it off anymore. I love the ride and for overlanding I feel mt is the way to go.

Velkoris and Darth_Yota like this.
  8. May 16, 2016 at 1:07 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Here is my brief philosophical view.

The further you get away from stock, the more problems you'll have to solve.

As far as your personal truck? I would say it boils down to what kind of trails you are doing, and how fast do you want to do them?

I personally would not LT a Tacoma. It's too expensive, and it takes a ton of work and a lot more money to beef the rest of the truck to handle LT abuse.

I did a lot of over landing with a stock Tacoma, stock suspension for 5.5 years. It was slow, but it worked!

After that wore out I went to Bilstein 5100 / OME 885 coils in the front. In the rear I run a modified Dakar spring pack with extended 5100 shocks. Last year I went to a tall 33" tire. It was the largest I was willing to go because it would still fit in the factory spare location. The increase in ground clearance is really nice, but now I want to regear. The tire/wheel poundage went from 65 to 85lbs per corner. The domino effect of modding a vehicle compounds problems and adds additional challenges. :rolleyes:

In short, I'm very happy with my suspension and don't plan to change it. When it wears tout I'll probably go Bilstein 6112 in the front, and keep the rear the same.

I like OME coils... I'd steer clear of their shocks, including their new ones. lol

Hope that helps you.

9. May 16, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    2ndGenJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    ^^ TW build thread of the year 2016^^

[​IMG]

Need to edit gif to say Crom laughs at your long travel

10. May 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    LOL thanks! LT has it's place! Don't get me wrong. It's just not for me. :)

11. May 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    On the sway bar. My one wish for the 2nd gen Tacoma is that someone would have created and brought to market a quick disconnect for the sway bar.
    I don't think it will ever happen.

I have my sway bar out. Like @Mademan925 said above. When you first pull it out the rig feels like a boat cornering. I got used to it and it's not a big deal.

But what can be a big deal is a split second emergency maneuver on the interstate due to obstacle or other driver. That's what worries me the most. I've had to swerve before and it can be done, but requires greater concentration and effort.

IronPeak and Mademan925 like this.
  12. May 16, 2016 at 1:35 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    I like my MT setup but I find myself lifting a front tire often, so that's why I'm going LT.
    Don't go LT unless you feel comfortable breaking down the front end to replace cv boots, tighten LCA uniball etc..

I'm used to no sway bar and have had to swerve. Does take a bit more concentration but these aren't rally trucks, don't drive it as one and you'll be fine.

13. May 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    Hmmm...I love my +2 but the CV axle headache alone is enough to say maybe I wouldn't do it again? Whenever I'm off-road I have two +2 axles in the spare parts box because you can't just find one and surely can't build one trail side. I also have a spare OEM CV at the house ready to be taken apart. I have about $2k tied up in CV axles alone. o_O +2 kits are glorified MT anyways...with the same maintenance and known tacoma issues from wheeling. The problems you will have are a direct reflection of how hard you wheel your truck, not how many inches of travel you have.

True LT is the guys romping the desert...

Rear shock relocate....juice is not worth the squeeze unless you are revamping the entire rear end IMO. LOTS of work for not so much gain. Shackle flip, proper length shocks and bumps and be done with it.

Screw it.... SAS IT!!

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  14. May 16, 2016 at 8:10 PM
    snowmanwithahat

snowmanwithahat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica DCSB, TRD OR, V6, Auto
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I kind of agree that a +2 LT kit is still glorified MT. I'm coming from a SFA Jeep Cherokee buggy and before that a Jeep TJ. Both of which lacked road legs and felt unstable and uncomfortable for longer trips.

I'm trying not to my previous problems with off-road rigs and ruin the road manners that made a Tacoma so appealing in the first place.

With that being said, the truck isn't my daily driver anymore and I'm really looking to make it competent for exploration and long distance off-road trips out west to the Rubicon trail and Moab. I actually think one of the things that would really bother me would be a handling compromise while towing if the lack of a sway bar affects that.

I know the Tacoma lovers here are going to hate this comment, but I'm really starting to think MT is the way to go and instead leave the heavy off-road duty to a different vehicle. But then again, a LT Tacoma on 35s just sounds like a badass truck that I have to try at least once.

Mademan925 likes this.
  15. May 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I frequently tow with no sway bar and don't notice much (if any) difference. I love being on 33s, but 35s on a good MT build is the long term plan.

16. May 16, 2016 at 9:13 PM
    2ndGenJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
  17. May 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    But you're on 32.5s :p

18. May 16, 2016 at 9:27 PM
    2ndGenJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    33.9s if you want to be technical

19. May 16, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    @iJonny

I peeked at your build thread and it said 285s... I didn't read very far though. Not to clutter this thread, where would I find more info - tire, trimming, etc... for your setup

20. May 16, 2016 at 9:45 PM
    2ndGenJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    285x75r17

Its all in my build and i needed very little. We did the cab mount, pinch weld and some plastic in the inner fender/flare at the bottom.

Every now and then at 1/4 turn of the wheel i may hear a rub when its being bumped, but thats it.

Combo of proper BS and tire size. Its the perfect size tire for the Tacoma IMO. They are flush with the fenders also, not protruding at all.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Crom likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top