1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Hotdog, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jan 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    ^^^Congrats on the new home..

2. Jan 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you. Our first! And my first time putting brain information into hands on doing. Bit of a learning curve.. :cool:

My baseboard is too tall for the miter saw, it hits the motor cover 75% into the cut. So I flip it over and reverse the angle and get as good as I can to finish. Did any small trimming by hand with a razor.

Anyways.. There's probably an easier way, but I have the bedroom 90% finished and it looks pretty good, corners need minimal caulking. I don't have an angle finder, and my first time, success enough for me.

3. Jan 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Lmfao

:cheers:

Also fuck you. :luvya:

4. Jan 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    You can cope the joints instead of inside mitering. All you'll need is a coping saw or a scroll blade on a jigsaw. You'll get a super tight joint every time.

Looks good BTW. Nice going.

5. Jan 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I watched a video on that this morning before I left to that house to work. Might try that next go around!

Thanks. Did the best I could and it came out pretty good. Glad to be back at this home and not still working. Hopefully we move in this week.

6. Jan 12, 2015 at 5:20 AM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Always nice seeing something get done. What all is left to do before you move in?

7. Jan 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    My Lee Valley automatic vac switch and cyclone lid should be here in 3 days...:)

8. Jan 12, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Can you test run them for me .

9. Jan 12, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    you sunufabitch

10. Jan 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
  11. Jan 12, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    It was move in ready when we bought, but interior painted poorly in whatever was on sale (mint chip green, and a khaki/yellow color. Kitchen and half bath were green, as was upstairs bath. That was first to get repainted. Bedroom got painted from the yellow also, and the baseboard were pretty bad with age and lots of sloppy cuts and sloppy caulk work, so we just decided to replace since throughout the whole house it was all pretty bad with some spots worse than others.
    I got overwhelmed by the list of to-do, so I am just doing the upstairs now and then after its all together the downstairs will be next. Bathroom has beat up and peeling linoleum so that's getting replaced with tile (FIL/MIL housewarming gift) and then I can trim it out also, it needs a tub scrubbing and a new curtain/rod. Then its ready to be used.

Kitchen is mostly cleaned up and almost ready for the cupboards and drawers to get filled. After those 3 things are ready to go we will finally move in. The second bedroom will be painted and re trimmed before the baby is due in July and then will be a nursery. I'll need to pull baseboard from the stair landing and the downstairs entirely and reinstall. Paint the walls and ceilings and that's all done. I need to pull the kitchen sink and reseal it to the countertop. I need to reinstall the faucet as a 3 hole setup and not a 1 hole base I'd done the first time. I need to remove old caulk and reseal bathroom sinks, and then its just a matter of cleaning, building a dining table and some floating shelves and getting our minimal furnishings in place so its almost a home.

It was a decent place before, hopefully will be a nice place when we're done. Not trying to remodel, just finished better. Paint and trim work.

Might post more pics as I go, this is my first time doing home stuff so it isn't much to see.

12. Jan 12, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    What kind of tub is it?

13. Jan 12, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    It took us the better part of a year to get our house in shape to move into, then another full year to remodel the old house to sell. The new house had an unfinished garage, with exposed rafters. Livermore gets pretty extreme weather compared to the rest of the Bay Area, 100º summers and close to freezing on winter nights, so something had to be done.

The stringers across the garage were 2"x6" on 48" centers, so a whole new system of 2"x8" x 24" ceiling joists were installed so we could put up the drywall. Strongbacks on top, insulation, and plywood deck made it worthy of storage for our years of junk. A new large window on the blank bedroom wall gives us early morning sunshine now, a great reason to get out of bed every day.

The old house got a total flip, everything stripped out including floor and ceiling, everything new, and new landscaping. Our broker staged it professionally, and put it up on the multiples. One open house weekend, All offers to be considered the following Wednesday. We entertained 6 offers, the least of which was beyond our wildest dreams! It worked out extremely well, selling to a cash buyer, closing escrow in 6 days. The best part of all this was the real estate market was at it's lowest from the banking crisis when we bought, and had snapped back in a big way when we sold the old house almost 2 years later.

The final piece of good news was the transfer of our old property tax base to the new house, a benefit afforded retirees here in California, to be used only once per family. After living in the old house since 1978, that old tax base would have been hard to give up considering the whopping property tax of the new house. Everything we did depended on being able to transfer that tax base, and very glad to say we did everything right!

14. Jan 13, 2015 at 6:38 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Wow! That's a huge benefit. I didn't know it existed.

15. Jan 13, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    grissom

grissom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    NorCal
    I believe its for those who are 55 and over

16. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    That's correct. One time only per couple or individual, at least one must be 55 or older, both transactions must be within two years before or after, and within the same County or between cooperating Counties. Not all Counties participate. It's a State Law, so if you qualify, you'll get it. Confirm with your own Tax Assessor, submit your request within the specified time period, wait for approval, then wait for refund of overpaid taxes. I'm still waiting for that, but expect my next tax bill to trigger the refund.

17. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I understood that when he said it was for retirees. ;)

18. Jan 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Thats great Alan! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure the exact build of the tub, but I'd assume it's porcelain over cast iron or similar. Built in 1981, all I know for sure is it isn't fiberglass, its porcelain and it has a cpl scratches in it I hope can be remedied.

19. Jan 13, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    James, I can give you my thoughts on your tub, based on my own experiences: As you know, I have rentals, and have older tubs with lots of history. One tub was just not good enough at all, and I was reluctant to rip out the nice tile of the surround, so I contracted with a tub refinisher. The first job was fantastic, no complaints, and lasted through 3 tenants, when the 4th tenant dropped a razor and nicked the surface badly. That's the thing about a total refinish, it is a two stage epoxy paint, and is easily damaged.

The second contractor I fired before he finished the job. I offered him half his fee to get the hell out and he accepted. When you are a property owner, you have a vulnerability to flakes, so you can't totally be an asshole to anyone.

Next contractor removed the previous junk and did the job right. Still, I wish I had ripped out the old tub and started fresh the first time around. The next time I have a total remodel in that apartment, I will do just that. In your case, if just a couple small chips or scratches, a touch up can work very well, but a whole complete refinish should be avoided.

20. Jan 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I'll post pics later and get your opinion.

Products Discussed in

To Top